A group knitting blog.

Sunday, July 8, 2007

Holy moly

Those of you who aren't comic-strips-about-old-people obsessives like myself probably missed Pickles' week of knitting-related strips recently. Here's my favorite:



I have never knitted a mitten, let alone this fast. Now that I know how to do heels and short rows, I like to think I could do a thumb gusset. And my kids could totally use mittens. What about you -- what's your experience with mitten knitting? What's the best way to learn?

2 comments:

the secret knitter said...

I have no experience with mittens, but if you can do socks, I don't see why mittens should be a problem.

What is it about comic strips that makes me read them even if I've never (or rarely) find them funny or interesting? I'm looking at you Flo & Friends.

BTW, what ever happened with that jumper you claimed was almost done?

donnadb said...

It's done -- I just have to weave in the ends. I made an annoying mistake with the crochet on finishing, and I overcompensated for what seemed to me like very short shoulder straps. Now the armholes go down to like her waist. I need to finish it and see whether the miscalculation means it's going to slip off her shoulders constantly, because if so, I'll have to figure out how to correct. Maybe just cut off the armhole-strap crochet and start again -- although that's scary because I don't know how to rip crochet. It's stewing in my knitting bag while I slooooowly master Coupling.

Advice is welcome ...