A group knitting blog.

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Knitting Rage

So that pattern that I've been working on. It's been giving me some troubles. Lately, not so much (I've been knitting along just fine with few problems), but on Saturday as we were driving along to a going away/graduation party, I hit a patch of problems. And I had a little knitting rage.

Looking back, it was pretty funny, but at the time, I was really mad. I would count a row and come up with the wrong number of stitches. So I'd undo the row, which normally fixes the problem, and still have the wrong number. Then I'd yell and curse at the needles, all the while Lance looking on in alarm. I finally found that I'd dropped a stitch, so I transferred some stitches over to one needle and picked that stitch back up, but then had problems transferring the stitches back. (I blame the yarn on this one--I'm convinced that it's the source of much of the trouble). At one point, as I was counting the stitches, I kept thinking that if they didn't come out right, I would roll down the window and toss the whole mess out. Luckily they came out right, so I was not tempted. After some more cursing on my part, Lance recommended I help myself to one of the drinks we were taking to the party. I calmed down and quit knitting.

Knitting is usually a relaxing hobby for me, but this scarf has been a whole new experience. I think that it's partly because it is humbling: knitting has usually come so easily to me that finding myself struggling and making mistakes is frustrating. It really is a simple lace pattern (I've since figured out that they could be a lot more complex), but since I keep making so many mistakes, it makes me feel like a beginner.

Overall, though, it's not a bad thing. Feeling like a beginner helps me connect to my friends that are just starting to learn, and it helps me to be a better teacher to them. And I have struggled and persevered through the mistakes, and my scarf is turning out beautifully. I'm almost done with it, so soon I'll be able to move on to new challenges. I just hope that knitting rage doesn't strike again...

2 comments:

the secret knitter said...

I've learned that when I have my bouts of knitting rage, it's best that I put it down and return to the problem later. I'm very familiar with the impulse to chuck the whole thing, but in most cases it probably isn't the right thing to do. I'm glad you got it fixed.

g-girl said...

knitting rage will strike again, it's inevitable. you're not the first to curse your yarn/project/needles/etc! I think it's a learning curve too.