A group knitting blog.

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Some knittin'


I'm working on my scarf for the ISE exchange, and while it's been a pain, knitting lace is actually pretty fun, once you get the pattern down.

I'm using the Branching Out pattern from The Knitty. It's a good beginner lace pattern, and I really like how it's turning out using a mohair/silk blend yarn. It's soft, drapes nicely, and makes me want to rub it on my face instead of knitting.

I have it over halfway done, so I need to get cracking to finish it up by June 7th. I had some issues when I started--I frogged it three times before finally getting a good enough start--and occasionally I still have some issues. It has been a fun challenge though because I can't just let mistakes go, since it'd obviously disrupt the pattern.

Here's another shot of the way the pattern is turning out (Lance thinks it looks like wings, but I think it's leafy):

It also looks really fuzzy against the white. That's part of its charm, the fuzziness. I hope my swap pal will like it!

For those of you looking for a good, easy lace pattern, I'd actually recommend this pattern, but not in the silk/mohair yarn. Use a heavier weighted yarn because this stuff has the tendency to snag and do all sorts of unpredictable things... With a different yarn, I'm sure I would not have had quite the troubles!

3 comments:

the secret knitter said...

Does this require blocking, or is it done when you're finished knitting? Might be something for me to try to make for my mom.

What you've done so far is looking good!

Jenn said...

It requires blocking. Which as far as I can tell, requires me dunking it water and pinning it flat.

Kathryn said...

I think they look sort of like butterfly wings....only more, um, pointy.