A group knitting blog.

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Yarn Question

Okay....so I'm still not finished with the handbag that I've been knitting for, like, two months. But I think I've picked out my next big project. I want to do the knitted dress/shirt in the latest edition of the 'knit.1' magazine. It's the picture in the middle by the way...and it comes down to about mid thigh. I think it's really cute....and the patten didn't look like it was too terribly difficult. I figure Jenn can help me get started. :)



Anyhow, with regard to my question, the pattern suggests 13 balls in #8 Brown of Bali by Tahki Yarns (1.75oz/50g balls, each approx 81yd/75m(bamboo)).


I looked online and found the yarn. It's apparently a lightweight bamboo knitted tape yarn. The cheapest I've found online is $6.99 on the yarnware.com website. So...that would be about $90.00. I don't think this is too terribly expensive. I consider it to cover the cost of my knitting entertainment for the next couple of months...so that's not too bad :)

Does anyone have any other suggestions for yarn that could substitute and would be cheaper? I know nothing about yarn but am interested in using the tape yarn. Sounds like fun.

4 comments:

Amanda D Allen said...

Here are some ribbon yarns for a bit cheaper. Maybe they will help lead you in the right direction.

Dazzle
Katina Bonita
Katina Denim
OnLine Linie
Bermuda

These are only from one site. I checked out Lion's Brand and the Yarn Market too but all of the ribbon yarns that I found quickly were in the same price range. Good Luck!

the secret knitter said...

I can't offer any help about the yarn, just a reminder to get something that is the same weight (obviously) and produces the same number of stitches per inch. For instance, two worsted weight yarns may produce different gauge.

Also keep in mind the difference in texture and weight. I knitted two baby blankets but swapped out the suggested yarn for a different one on the second. It is much lighter, which is fine with me. Seems like an important thing to consider with something you intend to wear.

Kathryn said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I probably need to spend more time in a yarn store getting familiar with the different sizes/types/weights of yarn. I like the "Katina Bonita" yarn...and it's pretty cheap...might get that for a future project...especially if whatever I knit makes me look like the model on their website. Lol!

Jenn said...

You're the type of knitter that would actually finish any project that you started--so spending more on yarn wouldn't be a problem in that regard. But there are lots of options out there, which is nice. :)