A group knitting blog.

Monday, June 18, 2007

Confessions

So...I've been knitting and purling wrong this whole time. You know, since I started knitting several years ago. I know it's not technically wrong since it worked and the things I made looked nice, but...I had some misunderstandings.

First I learned the way I was knitting was actually incorrect--I was knitting to back of loops (ktbl) instead of inserting my needle from front to back (left to right). Whoops.

Then this weekend, I figured out that I was wrapping the yarn wrong when I was purling--instead of wrapping it counterclockwise (over and around) I was wrapping it clockwise (under and around). Whoops.

The result was that my stitches were slightly twisted and not laying as flat as they are supposed to. Now that I've figured out the proper technique, they lay much better. Yay!

It's a humbling experience, really, to realize the errors you've been making (and teaching to others) while all right, are not the proper method.

6 comments:

bockstark.knits said...

i'm interested to know how you found out you were doing it wrong. did someone correct you? ah well, you know, it's all part of the process!

g-girl said...

that's how I was knitting for the first oh, two years of my entire knitting existence so you're not alone!

Amanda D Allen said...

For the first part of my baby blanket I was knitting into the back of the stitches. Eventually I got irritated with how tight my stitches were (I was having trouble getting them off the needle even at the tip) and I went and watched the video at KnittingHelp and realized that I had been doing it all wrong.

donnadb said...

Oops. I wonder what the hell I'm doing wrong right now. Since I taught myself out of books and off the internet -- no one who actually knows how to knit has ever witnessed me knitting -- I'm sure there's something amiss.

the secret knitter said...

It is very helpful to have someone else to check what you're doing, although in my case, referring to books made me think I was doing it wrong when I wasn't.

Glad you've got it all figured out. :)

Dorothy said...

That's how I knit and it's only wrong if you decide to let it be wrong. Your technique is called Combination or Eastern Uncrossed Knitting and has been popularized by the lovely Annie Modesitt the Knitting Heretic. I refuse to change how I knit simply because others think it is wrong. It just takes a bit of willingness to figure out how to achieve the desired effect in lace knitting.