A group knitting blog.

Thursday, June 7, 2007

How to Block

How Jenn blocked her Branching Out scarf (see previous post):

Step One--start out with wrinkled mess
Step Two--dunk in water (not hot)
Step Three--stretch out on flat surface (I used a big towel--something to soak up the water
Step Four--pin, stretching out to appropriate width, etc.
Step Five--Let dry and unpin.

(close up detail)

Enjoy scarf.

I've had lots of people ask me how I could bear to give away my lovely new scarf. I guess since I set out to knit this for someone else, I never got too attached to it. Okay, I lie--but then I figure I can knit myself one too. It may be a scarf I knit again for gifts (plus I want to try my hand at the pattern with different yarn). It was lovely and soft.

The blocking wasn't that hard for the scarf. I've seen on Knit Picks some things called "blocking wires" (for lace), but I think the easy method of blocking (items in stockinette, for example) is just to pin it down damp, or mist it with a water bottle after pinning. Obviously if the lace is more complex or has fancy edges, the blocking process won't be quite so simple. Here's a lace blocking tutorial that I found on Knit Picks (Warning: PDF file).

1 comment:

the secret knitter said...

When I'm feeling brave enough, I'll have to try making this. Or are socks a firmer test of my patience?