A group knitting blog.

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Kathryn's Project - Handbag


I started my new project last week!!! It's a handbag made from 100% recycled silk yarn. I ordered the yarn and the pattern from the Woolpeddler website. I believe Jenn has a link to the site in the links section of the blog. So...apparently I have to make four identical panels for the bag. And, um, I'm still on the first panel. But I think I'm more than halfway done with it. Jenn would be so proud of me. After increasing stitches I figured out what "K2tog" means (knit two together) and I figured out how to do the stitch all by myself. I think I have to repeat the K2tog sequence for about 5 more inches and then I'll be done with the panel. I'm a little unsure about something though. At the end of the pattern it says "BO all but last 5 sts. Transfer these sts to a stitch holder." I'm guessing this has something to do with attaching the bag to the strap...yeah, I'm sure it does. But....what's a "stitch holder"?? I guess I'm going to have to go buy one.

Oh...there was a 20% off sale on knitting stuff at Hancock Fabrics this weekend. David had to go buy some felt to put on a poker table he's milling on the CNC machine. So I went and bought some size 8 bamboo needles. I've been too lazy to transfer my work from the metal needles to the bamboo ones. Anyway, that's my progress this week. I think my project is coming along pretty well.

And I've even included a picture so everyone can see my progress.

3 comments:

donnadb said...

Beautiful! Ever since Jenn mentioned your project, I've been craving those recycled silk yarns.

You can buy a stitch holder -- it looks like a big kilt pin -- or you can just use a big safety pin, it will work just as well.

the secret knitter said...

Nice work!

I haven't made anything that's needed a stitch holder, but I've seen a picture of one. Good for you for charging ahead and learning what to do as you go.

Jenn said...

Good work! I AM proud :)