A group knitting blog.

Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Kathy's First Project -- Legwarmers

Jenn has been pestering me to post about my legwarmer project. So here goes...

I finished my first project (legwarmers) yesterday. I'm supposed to post a picture as well but I'm too lazy. Maybe I'll edit the post later once I get my camera out. Technically, the legwarmer project is finished. Technically they're um, wearable. But I don't know how pretty they look. You can definitely tell which was the first one (i.e. the one that looks all ratty and full of holes). And I'm not too sure if I like the design of them. They're tight on top (which is okay) but then they flare out a lot at the bottom. They look a little dorky....like bell bottoms. I thought they looked cute in the picture....but I'm not so sure I like them much in person. I think I might wear them around the house a bit. If I don't start to like them then I'll just hand them over to my two kitties. I'm sure they'll have a blast rolling around on them and chewing up the yarn. Kitties are so easily entertained.

I'm glad I picked the legwarmers as my first project. I actually made something and learned a little bit about knitting as well. I learned how knit, purl, the difference between wrong/right sides, the importance of counting stitches and rows, how to increase stitches, and how to make an i-cord. I also learned that I really like using the bamboo needles. They're much lighter than the metal ones.

So....project #2? I'm making a handbag from a pattern that Jenn and I saw online (it's the "unbiased" pattern from the link). I ordered some of the recycled silk yarn recommended by the pattern. It came in the mail the other day and I'm looking forward to using it. The picture on the website shows a pinkish yarn with lots of other colors mixed in. The yarn that came in the mail is more maroon with other colors. I actually like the darker color better.

I can't believe I'm actually writing a whole post about knitting. Now I feel like a knitting nerd.

Pictures of the legwarmers will be posted soon....

1 comment:

the secret knitter said...

Be proud that you finished your first project. My first couple FOs were far from perfect, but I learned a lot. Even if you don't wear them, they'll be reminders of how much you've improved.