A group knitting blog.

Thursday, March 15, 2007

Buying Knitting Needles: Straights

They say that the tools make the woman (or do they? Maybe I made that up...), but in knitting it is important to have the right tools, starting with knitting needles.

Knitting needles come in all shapes and lengths and varieties, and made from all sorts of materials. For a beginning knitter, the types of needles you'll be using at first will be straight needles, or the single-pointed set of two needles you typically think of when you think of knitting. Here's one example from Knit Picks:

These are made of plastic. However, needles also come in bamboo, rosewood, various types of plastic and aluminum. The options are endless! Which is why SpiffyEnigmaticStyle asked about what you should look for in buying knitting needles.

I'll give some recommendations, but honestly it comes down to personal taste. I adore bamboo needles--and loathe to work with anything else--but when I was in a knitting store this past weekend, a lady pointed out some metal ones with fine tips that won't pierce the strands of yarn. Some knitters use plastic needles and prefer them to all other options.

For a beginner, plastic is often a good choice. For one thing, they are cheap and you don't have the "cold-feel" problem that you do with aluminum (also highly cost-effective). That's the problem with bamboo--they can run up to $10 a set. (I usually wait until all knitting supplies are 50% off at Hobby Lobby).

Knitting needles become a case of stick with what you like--I like bamboo, so I knit with bamboo. If you find a type you like, stick with it. If you don't like it, then try something else. If you have a knitting friend, then borrow a set of his or her needles. (Though, don't borrow them too long--I'm possessive of my needles, so I imagine others are too). And at first I would buy on a project-to-project basis--it hasn't been until recently that I've been building up my collection. Unless, of course, you find a great deal on a set or a pile of needles at a yard sale--then just get them.

Incidentally, Hobby Lobby has all of their knitting implements on sale for 40% off this week.

I hope this answers your question on how to buy straights! Look forward to a post on types of needles, coming soon!

1 comment:

Kathryn said...

yay! Sale at Hobby Lobby! I can't wait. Jenn is taking me on my first knitting shopping spree tomorrow morning. I'm excited about the knitting group and looking forward to working on my first project -- leg warmers.

I think the hard part is going to be picking out the yarn color....I have no idea what my options are.