A group knitting blog.

Monday, March 19, 2007

Novice knitters unite!

You have nothing to lose but your ... dropped stitches!

I don't feel much like an -ati of anything, and certainly not of knitting. But my dear friends and living inspirations Jenn and the Secret Knitter were kind enough to invite me along. I'll try to pop up every once in a while to speak on behalf of the ambitious yet inexperienced knitter, bewildered by options and cowed by stitch patterns, timidly approaching non-scarf and non-hat items (keep that sock where I can see it, sir!).

I have big plans to design my own this and adapt a classic that, but being a busy professional mom, I have little knitting time. (Maybe I'll write mostly about that.) Avoiding schoolwork and fighting exhaustion, I completed two rows of my longways scarf last night. And that's where I'm at. My blog, over there on the left menu, is Union, Trueheart, and Courtesy. Sometimes there is a post about knitting.

Here's my current thinking: Once I get this scarf done (and a longways hat to go with it), I'm ready to start my first real circular project (that is -- knitting a tube, rather than just knitting straight on circs). Most people would do a hat. But hat weather is almost behind us. I'm tempted by the contention in this Knitty article that socks are not as hard as people think they are. I have not yet ventured double-pointed needles, but I have some that I will be using for the endstage of the longways hat, so I won't be a dpn novice. What do the Kniterati think? Would a sock be an empowering or demoralizing affair?

(One non-knitting-related point in favor of a sock: My husband thinks knee socks are sexy. On the other hand: Knowing that in his eyes they can't be too long might cause me to delay doing the hard parts (heel turn and toe) indefinitely.)

2 comments:

Jenn said...

I think go for it. I'm going to put up a "Socks 101" site on the sidebar...

I'll be venturing into my first socks soon too!

the secret knitter said...

Yes, I'm beginning to wonder what to do as the weather warms, although it's become pretty cold again here.

How about making slippers before taking on socks?