A group knitting blog.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

So you want to be a knitter

Then pick up the needles, and join the fun!

There’s no need to be afraid. Trust me, I worried about if I could learn, if I’d like it, and what other people would think about *gasp* a guy knitting. I’ve worked through my knitting neuroses (mostly), and I can tell you that you have nothing to fear.

Easy for the person posting under a pseudonym to say, right? To explain in brief, I wanted to keep my knitting blog separate from my film blog. When I started I was very uncomfortable with how I thought my new hobby might be perceived by friends, family, and everyone else. Writing as “the secret knitter” allowed me to talk about my experiences without worrying that people I knew would stumble upon the blog.

I continue to use an assumed name because I feel I can be more open than if my name were plastered on the sidebar. It’s not a well-kept secret—go here if you must know who I am—but one that gives me an illusion of privacy to permit me to do more personal writing than I might otherwise.

OK, now that that bit of business is out of the way, on to more relevant matters…

I’m in my sixth month as a knitter, so I am certainly no expert. That said, I’ve picked up some knowledge that is worth passing along to those of you beginning now. Since numbers make for easy organization, here are six tips that will make knitting more pleasurable for you:

1. Find a knitting friend.

If you’re here, chances are you already have that covered. I started knitting because my friend Kristin convinced me to give it a shot. I’ve been lucky to have her around to answer questions, fix mistakes, and knit with from time to time. Sure, a teacher could serve the same purpose, but for me it’s been more comfortable and more fun to have a friend to share the interest with. One of the things I’ve come to love about knitting is how it brings people together. You’re lucky to have this group. (I’m up in Ohio, so it’s unlikely I’ll be popping in on Monday nights.)

2. Go at your own pace.

My first fourteen projects were scarves, thirteen of which were in garter stitch. That’s going overboard, although in my defense most of them were being knitted with a Christmas deadline in mind. You can mix it up faster than that. My point, though, is that you should stay as safe or get as adventurous as feels right. Find what works for you.

3. Allow yourself to make mistakes.

I had low expectations for what I thought I could do, so I knew mistakes were inevitable. Still, with a perfectionist streak, that’s not always easy to accept. Nevertheless, as clichéd as it sounds, that’s how you learn. Look at a dropped stitch as the chance to learn how to pick it up or to undo stitches, not a cursed error that’s going to ruin your hard work.

4. Knit regularly.

When I started I had an ambitious goal and exceeded it, largely due to a commitment to knit a little every day. Granted, that’s not always possible, but I think it helps in your first days and weeks to plug away until knitting becomes a habit. When it becomes a natural activity and not something you have to think about, you know you’re well on your way.

5. Document your progress.

Whether it’s making a list of what you’ve done, taking photos of your FOS, or blogging, keep track of your growth as a knitter. When I looked at my first bunch of FOs that I gave as Christmas gifts, I was astonished by the progress I made. The first scarf I knitted was embarrassing when I compared it to what I had done two months later, but it gave me a boost of confidence that I was improving. Plus, I think it’s nice to have reminders of what I’ve made, especially for those items I’ve given away.

6. Have fun.

I’ve mentioned on my blog that learning to knit is one of the smartest things I chose to do in the past year. It might not be a stretch to say it’s one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. No joke. I can’t believe how much it has helped me relax, give me confidence, provide a sense of accomplishment, and make new friends. Ultimately you’re knitting because you enjoy doing it. Be proud of your work. Share it. Show it off.

Welcome to our knitting community.It’s nice to have you join the club.

1 comment:

donnadb said...

Curse you, secret knitter! I was going to work on a short piece of writing tonight for which the deadline is tomorrow noon ... but now all I want to do is knit! Curse you and your "knit regularly" advice-slash-temptation!